Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on Thursday 16th October 2019 @ 7.30pm at ‘Westlow’ Mere Fisheries meeting room.
Declaration of Interest
Cllr VB on agenda item ‘Trees on Westlow Mere’
Part 1 Public and Press present
Councillor P Amies, (PA)
Councillor V Brown, (VB)
Councillor M Wakerly (MW) (who Chaired the meeting)
Councillor T Richardson (TR)
Councillor J Spence (JS)
M Bailey – Acting Clerk
A presentation took place prior to the Parish Council meeting from Richborough Estates in relation to a proposed mixed-use development on land off Viking Way, Congleton.
Representatives from Richborough Estates gave a presentation to those residents and councillors present, followed by a series of questions from those present.
18 members of the public were present.
One resident asked about the signs put in place for the recent half-marathon. One of the signs was placed on Hall Green Lane and was placed in the middle of the road.
A further point was made by a resident who asked whether so many speed limit signs were required.
Finally, it was reported that several pieces of machinery were parked on Sandy Lane which meant that cars could not get down the road
The Chair commented that these matters had been noted and would be followed up.
A resident mentioned the proposals to introduce passing places on Smithy Lane and whether these plans should be put on hold until after the Link Road is ready.
The Chair commented that the Link Road would solve some issues with traffic but not all problems – the Council is looking to introduce passing places and restore the verges. Cllr VB asked whether a meeting at the site would help and the resident accepted this offer.
104/19 Apologies for absence
There were no apologies for absence reported to the meeting.
Resolved that the minutes of the meeting held on 19th September 2019 be approved and signed as a true and accurate record.
106/19 Trees on ‘Westlow’ Mere
The acting Clerk outlined the position – that Cheshire East Council had confirmed that the club had marked trees which they intend to take down but have not given a date for this work to take place.
Cllr VB commented that the fishing club were ‘conscious’ of the issue and will ask the Parish Council to contribute to the work. The club will start work on 17th October 2019 and will provide information on costs to the club.
Resolved the Council resolved to provide £1,000 to the club for them to draw down for this work.
107/19 Rural Lane Improvement Plan
Resolved To hold a separate meeting with Smithy Lane residents and for Cllr TR to lead on this matter.
Congleton Link Road
Cllr JS updated the meeting on an incident on Giantswood Lane, when he stopped at the temporary lights and was met by a sweeper coming the other way, which covered all vehicles in the area. The movements of the sweepers in the area have the potential to cause problems.
Resolved the Clerk would direct this observation to Cheshire East Council.
Fly-Tipping on Giantswood Lane
There had been several incidents of fly tipping on the land by the dog waste bin. The Clerk had reported this to CE, and it had been collected. An address was found among the rubbish which had been fly-tipped. Cheshire East Council officers had investigated this matter and spoken to the individual concerned. The individual commented that he could not afford a bin from the council.
Water on Smithy Lane
An update was provided on this matter.
Resolved it was agreed that £1,000 would be put towards the cost of undertaking a survey of the area.
Mill Lane BT chamber
The Clerk updated members on progress to date – BT has agreed to carry out the work required, but still waiting for Cheshire East to agree to this offer.
Sign Cleaning in the Parish
A quote had been received from Congleton Town Council to carry out this work.
Resolved to approve this quote and ask for work to be done.
109/19 Business Plan
An update was received from the Chairman.
110/19 Cheshire East.
No report due to absence.
Resolved to discuss s.106 monies at the next meeting of the Parish Council.
111/19 Planning Applications
- It was confirmed that the Council will wait for comments from Richborough Estates regarding the earlier presentation. This would be followed up with a leaflet drop and further information for residents.
- Resident complaint – Fern Hill, Smithy Lane CW12 2JG – this has now been dealt with by the Clerk
- Local Plan Consultation – it was confirmed that comments had been submitted to Cheshire East Council
To note the balance of accounts = £16,025.88
- Cheque number 287 – £1008.26 Cranage Parish Council
- Cheque Number 288 – £75.00 CHALC (Cllr VB training ‘How to be a good councillor’)
Resolved the above payments be approved and signed for as a true and accurate record.
113/19 Clerks Report
The acting Clerk confirmed that there was no correspondence to report upon.
114/19 Chairman and Members Report
- Training feedback – Cllr VB reported on training attended on being a good employer and standards. Reported that this had been a good training course and had focused on Standing Orders and development of a Business Plan (in terms of how the council intends to use public money). Also focused on assessing the right person to be Clerk
- Training feedback – Cllr VB reported on attending training session on community and resilience market engagement event – including advice for the voluntary sector on how to submit funding bids
- Trees – Cllr JS reported that he had met with Bloor’s site manager and discussed plans for tree trimming and what could be done. Reported that residents were happy with plans and he would check it was being done correctly.
- Police – Cllr JS reported that he had met with PCSOs and had been told that there had been reports of a van in Brereton acting suspiciously. This is being monitored.
Mr M Bailey left the meeting and Ms Julie Mason clerked the remaining Part 2
Resolved; “That in accordance with the public bodies (Admission to meetings) Act 1960 as extended by the Local Government Act 1972 section 100 the press and public be excluded from the meeting for discussion of the under mentioned item on the grounds that the publication of the matter would be prejudicial to the public interest by reason of the confidential nature of the business to be transacted”
The applications were discussed with the Parish Council.
Resolved the Chairman and one Parish Councillor would interview three of the five candidates and appoint accordingly.
The next meeting would be on 21st November 2019 @ 7.30pm at ‘Westlow Mere’ fisheries.
Meeting closed at 9.35 pm